Marathon #2 training started last week. Yep, I can’t believe it either. I can’t believe I have decide to run another one. Way back when in 2010, after I ran my first marathon, I remember crossing the finish line thinking, never, never, never again. I also thought, holy s$!t! Now, I can tell people I ran a marathon. But, the voice of never, never again was much louder. [That is me, after my 26.2 slow jog around Pittsburgh in May 2010. Can you tell by my face how much I didn’t enjoy myself?]
What has changed my mind about running a marathon? [Because I love lists…]
- Well, for one I have way more races under my belt. Before the marathon I never ran a 1/2 marathon. [Talk about skipping important steps. Go big or go home, is a big personal motto.] Since completing the marathon I have been running all over the place–multiple 5Ks, 10Ks, 1/2 marathons, and I have even finished some triathlons. I finally call myself a runner, I have always been an athlete, but it has taken me years to finally think of myself as a runner. #slowrunnerproblems
- I have a good group of running buddies, and for me that makes ALL the difference. Running alone=no fun at all. Running with friends= the bee’s knees.
- I have always wondered if I was so miserable the first go around was because of my training method. This time I will be running intervals, and not the run until I am exhausted, then walk for a while method I used the first time.
- I also have a big goal for 2016. I want to complete a 1/2 Ironman (1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike ride, and a 13.1 run) and I think if I can finish another marathon before then I will be mentally prepared to start training for the BIG RACE of 2016 aka a 1/2 Ironman.
- Did I mention I might be running my second marathon in the Keys? That might be the big selling point. I am currently in the lottery for the Chicago Marathon, but if I don’t get picked, the Keys, here I come.
You heard it here first, folks, I have tied up my running shoelaces again. Marathon #2 coming soon, October 2015. 1/2 Ironman, 2016.
I will keep you posted weekly of my workouts in case you become inspired or just want to be fierce. Happy running!
Week One: 3/23-3 miles; 3/24-3.35 miles; 3/25-3.35 miles; 3/26- 4.35 miles; 3/27- rest; 3/28-6 miles
Total- 20ish miles